Working report 1
First thoughts on issue (i): Suggestions for the organization of subject
cataloging as the automated cataloging system is introduced.
Prof. Dr. Rainer Kuhlen - Universitšt
Prof. Dr. Dagobert Soergel - University of Maryland
Postfach 5560, D-7750 Konstanz 4.6.1993
The new organisation of subject
cataloging should meet the following goals:
- Processing of incoming materials without undue delay in spite of the
shortage of personnel (which seems unlikely to change).
- Improved searchability for the users, exploiting the possibilities offered
- Integration of all catalogs now maintained in the library, including
catalogs dealing with special materials.
- Access to the existing collection (called old collection in the following)
so that the user finds both old and new materials in one search (long-range
goal). At the very least, the user searching the new system should be referred
to the appropriate places (keywords, class numbers) where to look in the old
system. The access to the old collection is of particular importance in the
Swiss National Library, since materials in area studies (Landeskunde) and
history do not become outdated.
- Linkage to other relevant collections, especially to the Parliament
Library Bern, to historical libraries, to Swiss national and provincial
archives, and to university libraries. This is a long-range goal, but it
should be considered in the overall planning.
- Production of printed information services, such as Schweizer Buch and